Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Dead Childhood Dreams

As I lay here in bed, a bit "under the weather", I was just spacing out and thought about things I wanted to do as a child, but did not get a chance to before my dreams were crushed by other students as well as teachers.

1) Acting- I always wanted to act, but I never had anyone help me. When I did try, many times I was told I couldn't because of my weight (which back in these days was 100 lbs lighter than what I am not, and a normal size). Also, I wasn't one of the teachers pets, which meant that I wasn't good enough to be in one of his/her plays because I didn't kiss the ground that they walked on (and other things as well, for that matter).

2) Basketball- I used to LOVE playing basketball, but again, I never had anyone encourage me or help me. The thing that really killed this dream was when I messed up both of my ankles by falling, which kept me out of gym class since the middle of 7th grade. I still have problems with them to this day, and many times on a daily basis.

3) Singing- I loved singing, and I wish my experience in school was similar to an anti-drug commercial that I saw on TV one day with Mary J. Blige. In the commercial, she talks about wanting to sing in school, but all the other kids told her she wasn't any good. She then says that a teacher she had encouraged her and helped her out. Of course, we all know what happened after that.

I do not know where this came from all of a sudden, but I felt like writing about it, so here it is.

No comments: